- What is Waterproof Oxford?
What is Waterproof Oxford?
Waterproof Oxford is a special type of canvas fabric with a waterproof coating.
Waterproof Oxford is a very versatile and durable material. It is often used for bags, backpacks, tote bags, lunch bags, and zipper pouches.
Sahara Waterproof Oxford is custom printed with eye-catching, original art designs for a professional look. The fabric is very durable 600D polyester, and is waterproof on both sides. The printed side is treated with DWR (durable water repellent) and the back is coated with polyurethane. Simply wipe clean, or machine wash occasionally.
Zip Top pouch by Parker on the Porch (ITH patterns).
Waterproof Oxford feels and performs like a heavy duty fabric, but doesn't have any of the usual sewing irritations of heavy weight material. It is not too thick and can be sewn on a regular home sewing machine. It can also be used for in the hoop patterns with an embroidery machine. Oxford is easy to fold and cut. The edges do not ravel, so no need to finish seams, and the backing can be left unlined for a wipe-clean inner.
- Both sides of the fabric are waterproof
- Medium-weight, and very durable
- Polyurethane backing in white or black
- Designed and printed in USA
Use for diaper bags, wet bags, tote bags, purses, and carry cases. You can even use it for luggage, seat covers, dog beds, picnic blankets, and any place you need to keep dry and protected. Waterproof Oxford is not suggested for clothing, but it is good for aprons, tool belts, fanny packs, and vests. We do not recommend Waterproof Oxford for long term outdoor use, as it is not UV-resistant and the print will fade with extensive sun exposure.
- Sew your Waterproof Oxford with universal size 14/90 needles.
- You can make a project using a pattern designed for a regular sewing machine, or you can make bags and pouches ITH (in the hoop) using an embroidery machine.
- The cut edges will not ravel and can be left unfinished, finished with a serger, finished with pinking shears, or bound with binding.
- There is no need to line items made with Waterproof Oxford, especially if the project is being used to hold wet items, as the polyurethane backing is waterproof and wipe-clean. If you would like a more finished appearance, some use our PUL fabric as a lining, which also has a waterproof backing; the face side of PUL will get wet. Others use woven cottons.
Here are a few examples to spark your creativity:
Waterproof Oxford backpack by Sew Can Do (blog).
Waterproof Oxford cinch-top tote bag by Sew Can Do.
Splash Bag by Parker on the Porch.
Waterproof Oxford garden tote by Sew Can Do.
Waterproof Oxford zip pouch by Sewn Can Do.